For the Future: What Do We Want?
On Decembr 12th, at the first congregational conversation about our future, over 40 people came together to share their visions for our long range planning. The visions, concerns, hopes are captured below and ordered under the several themes of our mission.
Pursuit of Justice:
• Need more focus in our work with social justice projects
• Support/buy/rehab a local house to offer Section 8 housing opportunities
• Are we a social service agency or a congregation???
• Work with other community groups on public housing
• Publicize results of our social service projects.
• New projects need sufficient volunteers, don’t bite off more than we can support.
• Need to balance our spiritual work with our social justice focus
• Build a labyrinth for meditative walking
• Record/live stream the whole service
• Difficulty recruiting guest ministers for two services
• Strengthen our endowment
• Respond to the hearing impaired members - Add a T-coil or loop system in the sanctuary for hearing impaired people. Install speakers in the back of the sanctuary
• Diversity is our strength
• Build a Social Hall/ Multipurpose structure with a kitchen large enough to accommodate the congregation
• Any new building should be contiguous to the sanctuary and connected by a covered walkway or square
• Expand the Sanctuary to allow all to attend a single service.
• Hire a consultant
• Hire additional help to maintain grounds
• Add smoke detectors in Sanctuary
• Adjust the air conditioning
• Install canopy for front patio, retractable awning
• Plan to adapt to the world as it will be in five years re our facilities and website
• Pinebrook may become a bus route
• Outsource more –hire an administrator or intern minister to reduce the burden on our minister – or an assistant for Khleber
• Hire an IT person
• Need a larger area for the congregation for audio and visual programs
• Renew our congregational commitment to the Welcoming Congregation
• Tap into the many talents of our members
• Strengthen relationships with members/friends who are seasonal.
• Pay off mortgage.
• Amend by-laws to allow absentee voting
• Improve efficiency of communication-who is doing what, when and where
• Share all the above suggestions in Connection
Use this list to spark your thoughts/imagination/dreams. Your input is needed.
We will have another conversation on UUCOV needs on February 12, 2018 at 1:00 PM in the Sanctuary.